By Professor Philip H Highfill Jr PhD, Professor Kalman A Burnim PhD, Edward A. Langhans
Volumes 3 and 4 of this monumental paintings comprise complete entries for all such illustrious names as these of the Cibbers—Colley, Theophilus, and Susanna Maria—Kitty Clive, and Charlotte Charke, George Colman, the Elder, and the more youthful, William Davenant, and De Loutherboug. yet right here are also complete entries for dozens of vital secondary figures and of sweet sixteen ones whose tales have by no means been instructed, in addition to a census (and at the least a number of recoverable proof) for even the main inconsiderable performers and servants of the theatres.
As within the prior volumes during this distinguished sequence, the accompanying illustrations comprise at the least one photo of every topic for whom a portrait exists.
Read or Download A Biographical Dictionary of Actors, Volume 3, Cabanel to Cory: Actresses, Musicians, Dancers, Managers, and Other Stage Personnel in London, 1660-1800 ... Dictionary of Actors & Actresses, 1660-1800) PDF
Best theatre books
Dans " L'Avare ", l'argent est le nerf de los angeles guerre. Il détermine les êtres, qu'ils soient vieux ou jeunes, riches ou sans le sou, avares ou prodigues, et s'insinue au coeur des rapports humains. Cette grande comédie créée en 1668 met en scène un univers où tout n'est que contrats, et ou tout a un prix : manger, boire, se vêtir, aimer, ne pas mourir ; un monde où les sentiments filiaux sont sapés par le vice pathologique d'un homme qui n'est pas seulement avare, mais aussi convoiteux et paranoïaque.
Tous ceux qui tombent, pièce radiophonique en un acte pour onze personnages, a été composée d’abord en anglais, sous le titre All that Fall, en 1956, puis traduite en français par Robert Pinget en 1957. l. a. pièce diffusée pour l. a. première fois le thirteen janvier 1957 à los angeles BBC, puis en février 1959 à l. a. RTF, connaît un très grand succès.
Eugene O'Neill was once the 1st American playwright to win the Nobel Prize in Literature. He accomplished The Iceman Cometh in 1939, yet he behind schedule construction till after the warfare, while it loved an extended run of performances in 1946 after receiving combined reports. 3 years after O'Neill's demise, Jason Robards starred in a Broadway revival that introduced new severe awareness to O'Neill's darkest and so much nihilistic play.
* illustrated with countless numbers of gorgeous photographs with regards to Shakespeare’s existence, destinations and works
* annotated with concise introductions to the performs and different works
* photographs of the way the performs first seemed in print, giving your Kindle a style of the Elizabethan texts
* ALL 38 performs and every with their very own contents desk – navigate simply among acts and scenes – locate that targeted citation quickly!
* even comprises 17 apocryphal performs, with mysterious works reminiscent of THE start OF MERLIN and VORTIGERN AND ROWENA, to be had nowhere else
* encompasses a distinct misplaced performs part, with concise details on Shakespeare’s misplaced works
* comprises the precise bonus play of DOUBLE FALSEHOOD, which the critic Lewis Theobald claimed was once Shakespeare’s misplaced play in 1727. come to a decision for your self – may this relatively be the lengthy misplaced CARDENIO?
* all of the sonnets and different poetry, with first-class formatting of their personal particular contents desk – locate that unique sonnet quick and easily!
* even contains apocryphal poems on hand nowhere else, provided with short introductions
* particular BONUS textual content of Charles and Mary Lamb’s diversifications for kids, with their unique Victorian artwork
* EVEN contains a distinct resources part – spend hours exploring infrequent medieval texts that formed Shakespeare’s maximum works. E. g. Thomas Kyd’s play that encouraged HAMLET, Holinshed’s Chronicles that encouraged background performs and the good MACBETH and lots of more!
* Geoffrey Chaucer’s vintage works that encouraged TROILUS AND CRESSIDA and NOBLE KINSMEN
* boasts not less than five biographies – discover the bard’s mysterious existence from a number of assets throughout history
* the precise literary feedback part boasts eleven works via writers as different as Samuel Johnson, Coleridge, Pope, Bernard Shaw and Tolstoy
* scholarly ordering of texts into chronological order and literary genres
* a entrance grasp desk of contents, permitting effortless navigation round Shakespeare’s oeuvre
* up-to-date with a different 'Glossary of Elizabethan Language', so that it will reduction your comprehension of adverse phrases and phrases
* up to date with enhanced formatting of the performs, in line with customers' feedback
Finally, the world’s maximum author gets the scholarly Delphi therapy. in fact, there are lots of Shakespeare collections to be had at the Kindle, that is why we have now made this version, like every our different titles, the main entire and scholarly works on hand, with improved formatting. This brilliant booklet deals each Shakespearean play, poem, apocryphal paintings and masses, even more! you can now really personal all of Shakespeare’s works and a wealth of BONUS fabric in your Kindle, and multi function well-organised file.
This booklet is sort of easily beautiful and merits a spot within the electronic library of all enthusiasts of literature.
Please stopover at www. delphiclassics. com to work out an entire record and skim our different titles
ALL 38 PLAYS
The misplaced Plays
with info and DOUBLE FALSEHOOD
LIST OF THE PLAYS’ SOURCES
The Apocryphal Plays
THE start OF MERLIN
VORTIGERN AND ROWENA and lots of more!
TALES FROM SHAKESPEARE via CHARLES AND MARY LAMB
VENUS AND ADONIS and more
The Apocryphal Poetry
TO THE QUEEN and more!
PREFACE TO SHAKESPEARE AND NOTES ON PLAY via SAMUEL JOHNSON
ON SHAKESPEARE through LEO TOLSTOY
EXTRACTS FROM WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE by way of VICTOR HUGO
SHAKESPEARE'S perspective towards THE operating sessions by way of ERNEST CROSBY
A LETTER by means of GEORGE BERNARD SHAW
and many more!
SOME ACCOUNT OF THE lifetime of MR. WILLIAM SHAKESPEAR by means of NICHOLAS ROWE
SHAKESPEARE: HIS existence, artwork, AND CHARACTERS via HENRY NORMAN HUDSON
LIFE OF WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE by way of SIR SIDNEY LEE
SHAKESPEARE'S misplaced YEARS IN LONDON via ARTHUR ACHESON
THE humans FOR WHOM SHAKESPEARE WROTE through CHARLES DUDLEY WARNER
Shakespeare’s final Will and Testament
Glossary of Elizabethan Language
- 1001 Beds: Performances, Essays, and Travels (Living Out: Gay and Lesbian Autobiog)
- 1001 Beds: Performances, Essays, and Travels (Living Out: Gay and Lesbian Autobiog)
- Historical Dictionary of German Theater (Historical Dictionaries of Literature and the Arts)
- The Annotated Shakespeare: The Comedies, The Histories, Sonnets and Other Poems, The Tragedies and Romances
- Wicked: A Musical Biography
- 1001 Beds: Performances, Essays, and Travels
Additional info for A Biographical Dictionary of Actors, Volume 3, Cabanel to Cory: Actresses, Musicians, Dancers, Managers, and Other Stage Personnel in London, 1660-1800 ... Dictionary of Actors & Actresses, 1660-1800)
In 1807, at the age of 41, Callcott's excessive exertions brought him to nervous collapse, and he was confined in an asylum for some five years. His professional colleagues gave a concert for his benefit in 1809 which filled the large King's Theatre with well-wishers. Callcott recovered sufficiently in 1812 to return to public life, but on a strictly reduced schedule. He gave up necessarily the laborious design for his dictionary of music, but he did resume some of his teaching. His mind failed him again in 1816 (he sent thanks to the Royal Society of Music for a benefaction on 4 February 1816) and once more he was compelled to go into an asylum, near Bristol, where he died on 15 May 1821, at the age of 55.
As Commander of H. M. S. Goliah in a spectacle called The Royal Naval Review of Plymouth. In the same bill appeared a younger Cabanel who must have been Rudolphe, later well known as a machinist and a theatrical architect. The elder Cabanel, who was most probably Rudolphe's father, may have toiled obscurely at Astley's and elsewhere both before and after that date, as an actor and possibly as a machinist. He surfaced in the records only once more, when in 1804 the "Messrs. Cabanell and Son" produced for Astley a fireworks display on the Thames in honor of the King's birthday.
Calkin, Joseph [fl. 17811815], musician. Page 12 Joseph Calkin was a musician at London during the last quarter of the eighteenth century and the first quarter of the nineteenth century. He was probably a member of the Drury Lane band before 1801 (in which year his name was in the pay list at £1 15s. per week), for his son Joseph was engaged as a musician in the same theatre by 1798. He seems to have continued at Drury Lane at least until 1807. He was a member of the Royal Society of Musicians (though no record of his admission is extant), for on 1 January 1815 he recommended his son Joseph for admission.
A Biographical Dictionary of Actors, Volume 3, Cabanel to Cory: Actresses, Musicians, Dancers, Managers, and Other Stage Personnel in London, 1660-1800 ... Dictionary of Actors & Actresses, 1660-1800) by Professor Philip H Highfill Jr PhD, Professor Kalman A Burnim PhD, Edward A. Langhans